Fort Winnebago Surgeons Quarters, located in Portage, Wisconsin, is owned and operated by the Wisconsin Society Daughters of the AmericanRevolution. The Surgeons Quarters, built in 1828, is one of the oldest French Colonial log structures in the state. Fort Winnebago was constructed from 1828-1830 as one of three forts built along the Fox - Wisconsin Waterway from Green Bay to Prairie du Chien. The Fort was abandoned in 1845 and much of it was destroyed in an 1856 fire.
Local author Earl Rhode a local of Columbus County and a published author visits Fort Winnebago Surgeons Quarters. He was present to sign his book, "The Little River Who Could", which tells the story of the Fox River and how the river is one of a few in the world to run North. Copies are available for sale in the gift shop for $19.95.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of NSDAR or WSDAR